Following the release of the most-viewed videos of the year, YouTube has also released the most-viewed ads on YouTube for 2011. Keep in mind this excludes music videos and movie trailers. It’s no surprise to us that Volkswagen’s ’The Force’ 2011 Super Bowl commercial takes-away the number one ad spot this year, having already captured the #9 spot on the overall most-viewed video list.
YouTube remarks “that the majority of YouTube’s top “ads” of 2011 never appeared on traditional TV at all” and “Videos like T-Mobile’s Royal Wedding, itself a spoof of the JK Wedding Dance, were made for the web and made to amuse, entertain, and to be passed around, as are mini-movies like DC Shoe’s Gymkhana Four, stunts like Hot Wheel’s record jump, and Old Spice’s “Scent Vacation.”
From YouTube’s blog post:
Most watched video ads of the year (eliminating music videos and trailers):
1. VW – The Force
2. T-Mobile – Royal Wedding
3. Chrysler – Imported From Detroit
4. DC Shoes – Ken Block’s Gymkhana Four: The Hollywood Megamercial
5. smartwater – Jennifer Aniston goes viral
6. Team Hot Wheels – The Yellow Driver’s World Record Jump
7. Old Spice – Scent Vacation
8. Apple – Introducing Siri on iPhone 4S
9. Samsung – Unleash Your Fingers
10. adidas – D Rose: adiZero Rose 2 The Bull
Here’s the most-viewed YouTube Ad of 2011 — ’The Force: Volkswagen Commercial’
Even VW’s 2011 Ad received about 10 million views before the Super Bowl even aired, as they released the commercial on YouTube 2 weeks before the Super Bowl.
As we can see the spectrum of advertising shifting, specifically that of online advertising, what do you see as the next quantum-leap for advertisers wishing to capture a large market share of views online.